After reading an essay by DF Wallace this weekend, where he reviews an american grammatical usage guide, I noticed an interesting similarity between usage guides and this news segment. He describes a certain irony in these types of publications, where “the people who are going to be interested in such a book are also the people who are least going to need it”. You people tend to already know everything, but anyway, here’s what I got!
Instead of posting a bunch of new tour posters this week, our friends at Earsplit made a GIGANTIC list of tour dates for all the bands they represent. Check it out and go see some shit!
(Using this word to upset a few people on purpose) The supergroup featuring members of Killswitch Engage, Cannibal Corpse, and ex-The Black Dahlia Murder, Serpentine Dominion released a new song. Not a huge fan of that name. I would have gone with “Corpse Murder Engage”.
Some of my favorite stoner doomites, Khemmis, released a new song off their upcoming album. It sounds more polished than their previous release, which I love to no end. I dig the song mightily, but maybe need to get used to the cleaner production. It’s not a bad thing at all, just different.
Sahg, sorta stonery-rock/metal, posted a new song on bandcamp for their album coming September 23.
I am really digging this new progressive/sludge/punkish track from Ayahuasca (I think there are a few bands with this name) from their upcoming album out September 9.
Following the tragic death of their vocalist, Aleah Starbridge, Trees of Eternity are set to release their next album on November 11. Here is the first single.
Testament released the cover for their album coming October 28. I don’t remember seeing the tri-headed snake in the last Macy’s day parade.
- I know a few of us are big fans of the short progressive death metal album that Stone Healer released last year. He announced that he has 12 news songs mostly written for a new album, so more info coming soon.
- New Noise premiered a new song from Norma Jean. You can listen to a few others on the Solid State Records Soundcloud Page. Look for that album September 9.
- In Nordic power/melodic metal news, Hammerfall (November 4), Amaranthe (October 21), and Sonata Arctica (October 7) have announced new albums. A hilarious factoid I found on the last group (who also released a single) is that they were formerly known as “Tricky Beans” and “Tricky Means” and unfortunately settled on Sonata Arctica instead of “Tricky Spleens”.
- The Sword is set to release the acoustic version of their last album High Country (aptly now named Low Country) on September 23.
- Insomnium literally won’t stop posting album trailers.
- The vocalist for the Norwegian black metal band Kampfar is having some serious health issues, so they were forced to cancel their appearance at Wolfszeif Festival.
- Negal, of Behemoth fame, says that his weird new solo project thing is apparently going to be called Love is a Dog from Hell…
- Hammerfight talked with some weirdos, and also Vermin Supreme, at the DNC. It’s a pretty amusing watch.